Sunday, August 7, 2011

in my garden

We used chicken manure this year and look at the size of my tomatoes!  

 The cherry tomatoes have done great too, Spencer usually has a big bowl full to take to work each day.
 And of course the zucchini, a gardeners confidence booster has done great.

 We did basil this year and I even made some spaghetti sauce the other night with my tomatoes and basil.
And since we live in New Mexico, I thought I should grow some sort of hot chili pepper.  

Those were the successes....I didn't take pictures of my dead peas (they did great for a couple weeks, and then died in our hot July weather), green beans, wimpy onions, and strawberries.  But again, this is New Mexico.  ;)

3 comments:

Sarah Jayne said...

I'm jealous! Ours is not quite so successful. I think we might get a few tomatoes but not too many. You should make a Caprese salad with those giant tomatoes and fresh basil and some fresh mozzarella!

Teri said...

Looks like a great summer out there and I can't wait to come out to enjoy the fall. Good job on the garden! Noticed your basil, did you know you should pinch off the tips when they begin to flower so that it will grow bigger and not flower? It helps make the herb bushier. And, I had so much leftover basil last year, I dried it. It is kind of a process but worth it for what you get.

Dad Toolson said...

Wow, you are the domestic mom. Your garden looks wonderful.