Sunday, November 20, 2011

the plane ride

My sis-in-law found us $9 flights to Denver on Southwest airlines.  $9 you say?  Really?  Yes, it was crazy just to see the $9 flight on the website.  Anyways, too good to pass up.  Between Spencer's family and us, we had 4 trips lined up between ABQ and Denver.  Our kids have all flown, but they were all too young to remember.  They were super excited to get on the plane.  
 Spencer went through security with me and got us all settled.  I didn't even bring the stroller or much entertainment since the flight is only one hour.  Just long enough to get the fun experience of riding a plane without the pain for the mom.  Spencer left just right before we should have started boarding.  
 Our flight was supposed to leave at 5:30.  At 5:00 they announced that our plane had mechanical problems and we were delayed....until 9:00!!!  Talk about wanting to cry.  Andrew did.  I kind of wanted too.  
 Luckily, when I called my sweet husband to tell him of our plight, he immediately said he would come back and help me entertain the kids.  The airport let him back through security and he brought the DVD player.  He stayed until we were all the way on the plane and taking off this time.  
 By this point I thought the kids would be so tired that it wouldn't even be the fun experience I was hoping to give them, but they were great and they LOVED it.  You would have thought we were on a roller coaster ride as we took off.  It was hilarious.  The boys sat with some nice woman who Andrew talked to the entire time.  Right after we took off, Andrew announced in his not so soft Andrew voice, "I hope we don't crash!"  (with a big smile on his face).  That got some laughs.
Mabel and Lucy did great too and Lucy was just happy to sit on my lap or the seat next to me.  Then they ran off the plane into their Grammy and Gramp's arms who were waiting at the gate for us.  We finally got in bed at almost midnight.  (just in case you are interested, it only takes 6 1/2 hours to drive to Denver.  With airport waits and drive times, it took us over 8 hours to get there)  


The airline did give us all $100 vouchers.  So....the long delay was Almost worth it.  pretty much.

3 comments:

Dan and Anne said...

Now you can come and see us! Happy the kids did so well. Even happier you got $100 each! That is awesome! Why doesn't SW have $9 flights between CT and NM?!

Dad Toolson said...

So you paid $ 64.00, and got $ 400.00 worth in vouchers, not bad at all. Maybe I should invest in $ 9.00 tickets.

What great fun for the family.

Sarah M said...

Airports can be an adventure :) Glad it all worked out, and what a good husband to come back and help out!! I always laugh when we fly to CA too, because by the time we leave our house to get to the airport, fly, and then get to my parent's house, it is usually at least the same amt, of driving time. But sitting in the car for that long is much more of a pain than flying, ha!