Thursday, March 13, 2008

Nature



Our little community seems to attract a lot of wildlife. Here's some pictures of the boys feeding our friendly neighborhood ducks. These ducks came last spring and would waddle around and make spencer mad by pooping on our back patio. A couple weeks ago they came back. Sometimes they even knock on our door with their beaks and look in. We have raccoons that climb the tree outside our bedroom window. I saw a rat outside of the dumpster the other day. It was so gross. But the worst of all the little critters around here are the squirrels. They aren't afraid of people, they are creepy, and gross. One night I was putting the boys to bed and I saw a squirrel standing up and peering in the window. I wouldn't open their window all summer because I was afraid the squirrel would come in and attack my baby. This weekend I had my worst wildlife encounter. On Saturday Lindsey came over with her boys. They fell asleep in the car so she was carrying them in one by one. We left the door open and I was in the other room. I heard her come in and say ERIN! I ran around the corner, and there in my hallway was a squirrel, in pouncing position. I froze and grabbed a blanket and just started yelling. Lindsey was more calm about it and turned around and walked out of the door so the squirrel could run out. It was a moment right out of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (I'm a little embarrassed to admit that this is one of my family's favorite movies, but I know that's what they are thinking about!)

6 comments:

greg & allyson said...

First of all, that green grass looks so nice and inviting! Utah is slowing coming along with Spring, but the green hasn't really made an appearance. And that story made me laugh so hard. I would have reacted the same way to the squirrel. I'm not a fan of creatures...especially in my house!

Teri said...

I hate squirrels too. I try to make hideous fffttt sounds when I see them and they are staring me down so that they know I am bigger and tougher than they are. I would have freaked out too if one came in my home. Ryan's little sayings are funny, I can jus imagine trying not to crack a smile.

Sarah M said...

That is hilarious! At least you got out of there without any blood :)

Dixie said...

I just read the last 3 posts, I was a little behind.
I loved the picture of Andrew "all partied out". And that Ryan just tickles me. When he was here he said he was mad at me, and I still can't figure out why. Luckily he was only mad for a nano second. I am glad you made it through your encounter with Seattle wildlife.

Jenny said...

I so know how you feel...I love nature as long as it stays outside.

One summer term at college in VA, I had a bat fly into my dorm in the middle of the night, then it was freaked out too and kept flying into walls. It was so creepy--I think I went kind of hysteric. I slept(well, more like cried) on the couch in the lobby.

jules said...

AAAhhhhhh! That is honestly my worst nightmare. That and the crow in my trunk (that one actually happened). I'm so sorry. The first year we were here, my 2 yr old Erica was staring out the front window. A squirrel jumped up and grabbed the screen with all fours - RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER FACE! Or one time we had a picnic at Ravenna and over twenty (we counted) squirrels kept running at us and storming our blanket. Rob spent the entire picnic chasing them away with a stick.