Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Story of our Love...


(sorry this is so long. This is mostly for Spencer...and i bet our moms will read it :)

I knew who Spencer was way back in high school. My best friend Rachel was his kind of "pen pal" (arranged by their older brothers at BYU). I remember seeing his picture and listening to an Everclear CD that Rachel bough because Spencer had told her about it.

Spencer turned out to be in my ward at BYU our freshman year at Heleman Halls. We actually didn't hang out that much or anything, but I have a few memories of him from that year: He once challenged me to a contest at a fireside to see who could sit up the straightest the longest. Then we figured out that our mom's graduated from high school together in Bremerton! Random. He dated a girl on my floor and I remember them sitting outside late a night on a grate to stay warm. Apparently Spencer thought that I flirted with him a lot, but I don't remember that.

He wrote to me a couple times on his mission. They were usually silly letters and he would say things like "Date my brother, i want a nephew".

When he got home from his mission, a group of us from our freshman ward got together and went to my favorite place in Provo, The Malt Shoppe. Spencer made faces at me from across the table and then I sat next to him while watching a scary movie. I got a call a couple days later on the phone from some guy claiming to be "Bob". He said he was calling from the Delta Center and they were taking a survey seeing if people would be interested in the Monster Truck Rally coming. I knew that this was not a real thing, but couldn't figure out who it was. I said I thought it would be cool. I got a call the next day from Spencer asking me on a date to the monster Truck Rally.

We dated until the end of April when Spencer was planning on going back to Denver. He once asked me if I thought he should stay in Provo for the summer. I wasn't very nice and said something like, "That would be fine, just don't stay here just for me". Spencer likes to throw that in my face. He went home, but I decided I couldn't live without him and he came back less than a month later.

I am so glad that he came back to Provo and asked me to marry him. I'm even more glad that I said yes. I love you Spencer and Happy Valentines Day!

11 comments:

Emma said...

Fun to read!!! I miss the Malt Shoppe!

Stacie said...

So cute!

Starnes fam said...

Oooo....I loved that post! What a great story!

greg & allyson said...

great story. i remember certain parts of the story, but it was cool to get the whole scoop. i think it's funny that spencer thought you were always flirting with him. happy day of love.

Teri said...

Way to get the guy, Erin! I'm sure glad things worked out for you guys and that we both found the right brother for us!

Dan and Anne said...

Very nice! Knowing Spencers charm I'm surprised you weren't in love with him before the mission too! We love and miss you guys... hope to see you soon too!

Dixie said...

What a sweet story. I remember Spencer coming home that summer, and mopeing around until you came to visit. When he went back to Provo with you, I knew he would not come back home alone again...that you would be by his side. I also knew that would be a very good thing.

Ryan said...

Erin - you forgot to mention how you and I went on a date, thus paving the way for you and Spencer, because at that point you knew you wanted to be with a Grange man.

Ryan

HeatherC said...

Yeah, I read it too, even though I'm not your mom. Cute story - I don't think I ever heard it from you. Love the horizontal stripes in that picture!

jules said...

You guys are such a great couple! Thanks for posting this...it's fun to remember good dating times. :)

FrugalProfessor said...

Spencer looks so ruggedly handsome in that picture. How dreamy!