Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Good Find



We love where we live for many reasons. One great thing about living here is we have accumulated a lot of free stuff. When people are moving, or just don't want something anymore, they can put it out by the dumpsters and UW will come move it for you. But if it's something good, usually it's gone fast, claimed by a resident. We always look when there is stuff out and usually it is only garbage worthy, but we have come acrossed some good stuff: a chair, bedside table, doormat, card table, VCR (with remote and batteries), and our neighbors gave us their portable dishwasher. Yesterday we got our best find yet. We have been in need of a better stand for our TV, seeing as Ryan knocked ours over the other day and it landed on him! I was pulling into the parking lot and I saw an armoire. It looked great, but sometimes from far away stuff can trick you. So I examined it closer and it was in almost perfect condition. We love it! We are very unsure of why anyone would throw it out! Spencer reattached the doors and it is like brand new.

I also have to mention that my going through the "garbage" is in keeping with family tradition. My Grandpa is known for his walks in which he would go out, usually on garbage day, and save anything good that people had gotten rid of. He would clean it up and either keep it, give it away, or sell it at a big garage sale. My mom has also started collecting things. She got my sister a table and chairs, some toys, and a stroller. Who needs Craigslist when you have garbage day!

10 comments:

Teri said...

You are lucky, the naked bums in our alley always snatch stuff up before we get a chance to even see it!

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! We got the exact tv armoire off of Craigslist (it's from Ikea)! Only we didn't get ours for free!

Jenny said...

Wow! That's a really nice armoire! You don't see stuff like that at the dumpster if you live in provo :)

Starnes fam said...

Wow! What a score! Will you find me a cute couch for a front room please??? :)

Dixie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dixie said...

Hi, that was me, comment deleted. It looks like I said something inappropriate, not so, just some misspelled and left out words.....
anyway, what I said was you live a charmed life, and I think it is wonderful. Also, Gr. Grandpa Grange would be so proud of you!

AmyJane said...

Hi, Erin! I was so excited to find your link on Nat's blog--I love finding old friends this way! Your boy(s!!!) are SO cute...I've linked you on my page so we can keep in touch!

Mama Wisch said...

I love the armoire! Ben loves to find free stuff on the sidewalks and sell it on craigslist! Another man's trash is another mans treasure!!! Cute blog by the way! We are at thewischmeiers.blogspot.com

jules said...

Guess I live by the wrong dumpster!!

Last week we put Robby's bike out by the dumpsters and it was gone in less than an hour.

Kailey said...

I am SOOO laughing right now. Josh and I were checking that thing out too. We took the book shelves that were with it. Is that like separating twins or something?